Sunday, December 27, 2015

Christmas Over???


Christmas Day 2015 may be in the history books now, but the time for making holiday cards is not. Even though I got ours done earlier this year than last (we sent them out on the 21st, rather than Christmas Eve), I'd like to be done with them even earlier next year! In the spirit of that, I made this one for Merry Monday Challenge Blog's Challenge #185: "Boots."


I must admit, this theme had me stumped. I just don't have many holiday stamps or digi images with boots. But I took a cue from this card by Nina, the hostess of this week's challenge. She used 2 panels from some holiday patterned paper, one of which shows a little girl wearing boots. I had the same paper, but had already used that particular panel. But I found the one I used for this card, featuring a Santa wearing--yes--boots!

I also had 3 greeting labels on my desk, that I'd made for other cards using Simon Says Stamp's "Christmas" set & Spellbinders "Grommet Tags" die. But they hadn't fit those designs. So I pulled one out and decided it would be perfect for this one. I created my card base for a 4.5x7.25" card, to accommodate the focal panel & greeting label. (It's a bit of an odd size, I know, but I have several envelopes that fit that size card, so I'm trying to use them up.)

I cut a panel of dark blue cardstock to 4.25x7", and added snow to the background, by sponging Ranger Adirondack Snow Cap pigment ink over Simon Says Stamp's "Falling Snow" stencil. The stencil isn't large enough for this background, so I fudged a bit by moving it around. I just had to be careful to mask off at the top edge, so I wouldn't get ink where I didn't want it! I rounded the corners with the 1/4" side of my Corner Chomper, and stitched around the perimeter 3 times with my sewing machine.

I rounded the corners of my focal panel with the 1/8" Corner Chomper, and adhered that in place. I threaded 3 lengths of white crochet thread through the holes in the label, and adhered the label to the background, centered below the image. I ran some ATG adhesive on the back of the blue panel, and stuck the ends of my thread on that, being sure to spread them out evenly. Finally, I rounded the corners of my white card base with the 1/4" Corner Chomper, and mounted my card front to that.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Monday: "Winter Wonderland"
Simon Says Stamp's Work It Wednesday: "Holiday Cards"
Pile It On #98: "Anything Christmas/Winter"
Through the Craft Room Door: "Anything Goes"

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Andrea, I love this vintage image and all that stitching. Thank you for playing along with us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely vintage image. So pretty. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty vintage style card. Love the image and your stitching. Thanks for leaving your sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, beautiful vintage card!
    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

    Hugs,
    Sandra
    TTCRD DT
    Cards and Creativity {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous vintage card! the image is beautiful and your stiching is fantastic! great work! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Barbara

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!