Thursday, December 10, 2015

Two More Holiday Cards


The theme for Day 4 of "Christmas Chaos" at Catch the Bug Challenge Blog was a recipe challenge. Use an image from Bugaboo Stamps, a one-word greeting, two embellishments, and three layers of paper. (I assume the focal panel & base don't count as layers.) I used Sketch #177 from Operation Write Home for my design.

I chose Bugaboo's newest image, the "Christmas Moose Ornaments." After flipping & sizing the image in Photoshop, I printed him on a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper, and colored him with my Inktense pencils & a damp paintbrush.

I used patterned papers from 2 different collections from The Paper Studio: "Christmas Candyland" (red plaid) & "Woodland Wonderland" (banner & woodgrain pieces). I cut them all to size, and inked around the edges with Walnut Stain Distress ink. I also inked the edges of the focal panel. Then I adhered all my layers together.

I die cut my greeting using the "Scripty Joy" die by Lawn Fawn, from some dark green cardstock. I glued it in place with Ranger Multi Medium Matte, and added a coat of clear Wink of Stella shimmer, followed by a coat of Glossy Accents. I also coated the ornaments with Wink of Stella & Glossy Accents. I used Multi Medium to glue down 2 buttons, and when that had dried, I poked holes through the buttons & the paper underneath and threaded some black embroidery floss through. I knotted the floss in each button, and finally matted the panel with some pale teal green cardstock, before mounting it to a white A2 card base.


My second card, inspired by the Day 5 challenge, is also from a recipe of sorts. They posted several "treat" recipes, and said to pick one and make it funny. I chose the "Sugar Cookie with Sprinkles": make your card a shape other than a rectangle or square, and use 3 pieces of bling & ribbon.

I added a greeting from Doodle Pantry to the "Marshmallow Snowman - Candycane" image, and printed that onto a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media paper. Then I die cut that with a Spellbinders "Grand Ovals" die (discontinued). Since this is a holiday card from us here in Texas, I decided to "toast" the marshmallows. It doesn't show up in the photo that well, but I used a brown Inktense pencil and a wet paintbrush to paint around the edges of each marshmallow. This is probably the closest thing we'd get to a snowman for the most part here! I also colored the candy cane, scarf, earmuffs, and arms with Inktense pencils, blending with a damp brush. For the sky, I added a wash of Stormy Sky Distress ink.

I die cut another, larger piece of blue cardstock with another "Grand Ovals" die, and stamped it with the Hero Arts "Irregular Arrow Bold Prints" background stamp and Hero Arts Pool ink. I created my card base by die cutting 2 pieces of 110 lb. white cardstock with a "Grand Scalloped Ovals" die (discontinued), also from Spellbinders. I scored the end of one piece about 1/2" from the edge, and adhered the other to that above the fold. This created a top fold, scalloped oval card. To help the card stand up, I trimmed off about 1/2" from the bottom of the back panel, leaving a straight edge. I also die cut a scalloped oval from cream cardstock, and adhered that to the front of my card base.

To assemble my card, I adhered the stamped oval to the card base, and adhered the focal panel to that, centering both. I tied a bow from some red & white gingham ribbon, and used Perfect Paper Adhesive to glue that & three clear gems to the front of my card. And another card is DONE! I figure by now I'm probably about 5/8 of the way through with our holiday cards. Stressed? Me? Nooooo...! LOL

I'm also entering both cards in the following challenges:


I'm also entering my second card only in the following challenges:

20 comments:

  1. Such an adorable little marshmallow snowmann. Great design. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are lovely, esp the scalloped oval one! Thanks for joining us for our Christmas Chaos event this week at Bugaboo's Catch the Bug blog.
    Good luck!
    Love
    Jen Leeflang
    BUGABOO DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are great cards, Andrea! :) I love to hang out at the Doodle Pantry too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea, I just popped by from Merry Monday's Candy Cane Challenge, I live in Australia so absolutely no snow here either... love the toasted sides on the Marshmallow snowman, great idea! Have a great weekend...Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are darling, Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, your card has a nice rustic feel with that cute moose! Thanks for joining us for the Holly Jolly challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cards! The marshmallow snowman is darling. And looks delicious...I love marshmallows! Thank you for sharing with us for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. It was fun visiting your blog! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are both gorgeous. Love the layout on the reindeer card and the beautiful blue snowman card is perfection. Thanks for joining us for Christmas Chaos at Catch the Bug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both adorable!!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Doodle Pantry's AIMPDC 12!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your shaped card! The snowman is just too darn cute! I'm so happy you joined us for the Doodle Pantry AIMPDC! I hope you will join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!